Saturday, 20th January 2024
10:00am to 4:00pm
Charles Morris Hall, Tyttenhanger Green, Tyttenhanger, ST ALBANS, Hertfordshire, AL4 0RN
The hall has plenty of free parking.
I hope to introduce the painters to my approach and will cover the following:
- Composition and layout
- The use of Notan to simplify and unify your painting
- Colour mixing in advance which helps to set values and tones also unifies the values across the whole painting
- An explanation of what paints I use and why they are suited to this type of painting
- Which knives I use and why, and how they are used
- Then I will show each stage and we will progress through painting.
- We will then premix the paint colours for the painting
- Then using the Notan we will create the under painting
- After that we will progress through the painting, adding the layers of paint. I will demonstrate each stage and describe how I am applying the paint using the knife, paying attention to the pressure on and the angle of the blade.
I anticipate 15 minutes introduction and initial theory, 30 minutes colour mixing, 15 minutes setting out and preparing the under painting. This will leave at least 3 hours to complete the painting in stages, I will quickly demo each stage and describe how I am using the knife to produce each type of mark. While the painters are then progressing on their own paintings, I will help individuals with technique and make suggestions or actually demonstrate on their paintings.
At the end of the workshop painters can cover their palettes with cling film so that they can take the paint home and complete any unfinished work on the next day.
You will be given the two palette knives, a prepared panel to paint on and all the necessary paint for the painting which you will take home. Materials are included in the price.
Gloves will be available for those who need them, but with care, hands shouldn’t get messy!
What you need to bring:
- An A3 sized palette: Perspex or glass is most suitable or a wooden palette. (Disposable palettes are NOT suitable.)
- A roll of kitchen tissue, a roll of cling film, a waste bag to take used tissue home to recycle and an apron.
- Your lunch and a mug for drinks which will be provided.
Workshop Booking Form
To book your place, please complete the form below and pay £47.50 by bank transfer to the following account:
Account: St Albans Art Society
Sort Code: 09-01-29
Account number: 86836852
Reference: 20JAN followed by your initials.
Your workshop booking is NOT TRANSFERABLE. If you cannot attend after booking, please contact email@example.com to re-allocate your place. Workshops are for full and student members.
If you are unable to pay online, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for alternative booking and payment methods.